The Passover Festival
Exodus 12:1-28, 43-49
- The First Passover 12:1-13
- The Miscellaneous Provisions of the Passover 12:43-51
a) We are saved by grace.
b) We are saved by the blood of the Lamb.
- Lamb theme in the Bible:
- Cain and Abel, Abraham and Isaac
- High Priest on the Day of Atonement (Leviticus 16:15-16a)
- Jesus (John 1:29)
- Passover lamb: pure & spotless. 1 Peter 2:22; Hebrews. 4:15; Hebrews 9:14.
- The Last Supper was the Passover.
- Substitutionary atonement: Jesus died instead of us.
Romans 5:9: “we have … been justified by His blood.”
Ephesians 1:7: “In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins.”
1 John 1:7: “the blood of Jesus… purifies us from all sin.”
c) We are saved to be sanctified.
1 Corinthians 5:7 “Get rid of the old yeast that you may be a new batch without yeast — as you really are. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed.”
d) We are saved together.
————————-questions for sermon discussion————————–
- Trace all the elements in Exodus. 12:1-28, 43-49 that supports the 4 lessons (a,b,c,d) above. Explain them.
- What does it mean to you that you are saved by grace and by the blood of Jesus? What does knowing that do to you?
- What have you sanctified your life since Christ died for you? What do you need to sanctify your life now?
- Why must we come together to worship? Can’t we worship alone at home?