Background of this passage —> I Corinthians 16:1-4.
We shall learn from the 3 categories of people how we ought to give.
I The Macedonian Churches: Gracious Giving vv 1-5
- They Were Motivated By The Grace Of God v 1
- They Gave Out Of Great Trial v 2
- They Gave Open Heartedly vv 3-4
- They Gave Themselves First To The Lord v 5
II The Corinthian Church: Hesitant Giving vv 6-8
Paul challenges them in 3 areas:
- To Finish What They Had Started v 6
- To Do Well In Their Giving v 7
- To Demonstrate Their Love v 8
III. Jesus: Purposeful Giving v 9
————————questions for sermon discussion————————
- Do you give to CGMC or any Christian organization? Do you pledge to CGMC? Why or why not? If you have not pledged will you begin to do so?
- Imagine you were a member of the Corinthian church and you hear 2 Cor. 8:1-9 read to you. What would you have heard Paul saying to you?
- Name one principle (or two) of giving from any of the 3 categories of people that challenges you to give. Why does that challenge you?