THE ESSENTIALS OF CHURCH LIFE
- The Early Christians Gathered in Small Groups
They gathered “together in the temple courts” and “in their homes.” (v 46)
- The Early Christians Devoted Themselves to Church Life
“they devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.” (v 42)
The Essentials of Church Life
a. Praise and Prayer v 42 “prayer”, v 47 “praising God”
b. The Word v 42 “the apostles’ teaching”
V 45 “Selling their possessions, they gave to anyone as he had need.”
V 46 “They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts.” (hospitality and fellowship)
Vv 42, 44, 46 “together” (3x).
V 47 “enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved”
—————————– questions for sermon discussion ————————
1. Highlight the verses that show the Early Christians met both in the temple as well as in the homes.
What do they do in the temple and in the homes?
What does CGMC do in Sunday service and in the CGs? How are they different and how do they meet your needs? Share.
2. What does it mean to be devoted in v 42? When people observing us, what will they say that we are
devoted to? What are you are devoted to?
3. Read vv 42-47, and note all the items of the Early Church is devoted to.
What are the items practiced and not practiced in CGMC? How can we practice church life closer to
the Early Church?
4. What priority do you place on attending your CG? What challenges do you face in attending regularly
in your CG? How can you overcome them? How can we encourage better and regular attendance at CGs?