Sermon on the Mount
- The Context: the Arrival of the Kingdom
“Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews?” (2:2).
“Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near” (4:17).
- The Message: the Life-style of His Disciples
“Now when he saw the crowds, he went on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him.”
“Go and make disciples of all nations, … teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you” (28:19-20). (See 5-7, 10, 13, 18, 24-25.)
The content in the Sermon on the Mount:
- A Christian Character; 5:1-12
- A Christian Influence; 5:13-16
- A Christian Righteousness; 5:17-48
- A Christian Religion; 6:1-6, 16-18
- A Christian’s Prayer; 6:7-15
- A Christian Ambition; 6:19-34
- A Christian’s Relationships; 7:1-20
- A Christian’s Commitment; 7:21-29
- The Authority: the King of Heaven
“he went up on a mountainside and sat down … and he began to teach them”
“When Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were amazed at his teaching, because he taught as one who had authority….” (7:28-29).
- The Relevance: Counter Culture
“You have heard that….but I tell you….”
“What are you doing more than others?” (5:47)
“Do not be like them.” (6:8)
——————————-questions for sermon discussion—————————–
- What is new that you learn about the Sermon on the Mount? (SM) What does that mean to you?
- Is the SM easy to obey? Is it possible to obey? Why or why not? Does Jesus expect us to obey? What is His reason?
- How counter-culture is CGMC? What are some evidences that she is? What are the areas she needs to improve on? What areas do you need to improve on?