God’s Judgement Of The Plagues (2)
- The Plague of the Flies 8:20-32
“If you do not let my people go, I will send swarms of flies on you and your officials, on your people and into your houses.” (8:21)
- The Plague on the Livestock 9:1-7
“If you refuse to let them go and continue to hold them back, the hand of the LORD will bring a terrible plague on your livestock in the field.” (9:2-3)
- The Plague of the Boils 9:8-12
“And it will become fine dust over all the land of Egypt, and will become boils breaking out with sores on man and beast through all the land of Egypt.” (9:9)
- God extends grace to His people.
“But on that day I will deal differently with the land of Goshen, where my people live;.… 23 I will make a distinction between my people and your people.” (8:23; See 9:24 also)
2. God passes judgement on hardened hearts.
“But the LORD hardened Pharaoh’s heart and he would not listen …” (9:12)
Mat. 11:21-23; Mk. 3:20-30; Rom. 2:8; Phil. 1:27-28; Heb. 2:1-4
3. Both grace and judgement brings glory to God.
“…. and you shall know that I am the LORD your God, who brought you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians.” (Ex. 6:7)
“And the Egyptians will know that I am the LORD when I stretch out my hand against Egypt and bring the Israelites out of it.” (Ex. 7:5)
——————————–questions for sermon discussion———————————
- What new elements are introduced in this second cycle of three plagues?
What do these new elements mean? What do you learn about God’s judgment?
Name all the graces and favours God extends to Israel.
2. What are the graces and favours that God has extended to us, His people, the Church?
What do all these graces and favours of God mean to you?
3. Read all the verses from Exod. 4-9 about God hardening or Pharaoh hardening his heart.
How do you explain who is responsible for the hardening of hearts?
What must you do to avoid your hardening of your own heart?
4. What does the glory of God mean?
How the glory of God is made known to Israel and to Egypt?
Do you believe God will judge evil?