GOD REASSURES AND SENDS MOSES TO PHARAOH AGAIN
1. God Reassures Moses That He Will Deliver Israel
a. Moses Returns and Complains to God 5:22-23
Moses returned to the LORD and said, “O Lord, why have you brought trouble upon this people?
Is this why you sent me? 5:22
b. God Reaffirms that He Will Act 6:1-8
Now you will see what I will do to Pharaoh. 6:1
6:2-4: (1) I am Yahweh. (2) I am the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. (3) I have heard your groaning.
6:6-8; Seven “I wills”:
“Therefore, say to the Israelites: ‘I am the LORD, and I will bring you out from under the yoke of the Egyptians. I will free you from being slaves to them, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with mighty acts of judgment. 7 I will take you as my own people, and I will be your God. Then you will know that I am the LORD your God, who brought you out from under the yoke of the Egyptians. 8 And I will bring you to the land I swore with uplifted hand to give to Abraham, to Isaac and to Jacob. I will give it to you as a possession. I am the LORD.'”
c. Moses Continues to Be Discouraged 6:9-12
If the Israelites will not listen to me, why would Pharaoh listen to me, since I speak with faltering lips? 6:12
2. Aaron Is A Significant Partner In Israel’s Deliverance 6:13-27
a. Moses Is God to Pharaoh, Aaron Is Prophet to Moses 6:28-7:2
Then the LORD said to Moses, “See, I have made you like God to Pharaoh, and your brother Aaron will be your prophet.” 7:1
b. Pharaoh’s Heart Will Be Hardened 7:3-4a
But I will harden Pharaoh’s heart, and though I multiply my miraculous signs and wonders in Egypt, he will not listen to you. 7:3
c. God Will Judge Pharaoh and Deliver Israel 7:4b-5
Then I will lay my hand on Egypt and with mighty acts of judgment I will bring out my divisions, my people the Israelites. And the Egyptians will know that I am the LORD… 7:4b-5
————————-questions for sermon discussion———————-
- What are the complaints of Moses to God? Why did he complained the way he did? What complaints do you have about God?
- What does God say to reassure Moses? What do you think God was trying to get across to Moses? How would others reassure you of the complaints you have?
- Explain the meaning of “Moses Is God to Pharaoh, Aaron Is Prophet to Moses.” What does it mean for us to be “God” and “Prophet” today?
- What is the reason God “hardens” Pharaoh’s heart? What is the ultimate message of God’s deliverance of Israel? What is the ultimate message of God sending Jesus and delivering us from sin?