GOD GIVES THE TEN COMMANDMENTS
1. The Premise of the Ten Commandments vv 1-2
“I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.” (v 2)
2. The Meaning of the Ten Commandments vv 3-17
i. You shall have no other gods before me.
ii. You shall not make for yourself an idol.
iii. You shall not misuse the name of the Lord, your God.
iv. Remember the Sabbath by keeping it holy.
v. Honor your father and your mother.
vi. You shall not murder.
vii. You shall not commit adultery.
viii. You shall not steal.
ix. You shall not bear false testimony.
x. You shall not covet.
3. The Motivation to Keep the Covenant vv 18-21
“Don’t’ be afraid, God has come to test you, so that the fear of God will be with you to keep you from sinning” (v 20).
Lesson: The Law is to be kept by the Church.
——————————–questions for sermon discussion——————————-
1. Did it occur to you that when you entered into covenant with God via your baptism, you signed up to obey His Law?
2. Why does God have the right and authority to command us to obey His Law? See v 2.
3. What roles do the 10 Commandments function as for the Israelites?
4. Of the 10 Commandments which one do you need to improve on?
5. Besides the fear of the Lord, what will motivate you to obey the Law?