GOD COMES DOWN TO MEET HIS PEOPLE
1. “You Will Be My Treasured Possession” vv 3-8a
V 4, “You yourselves have seen what I did to Egypt, and how I carried you on eagles’ wings and brought you to myself.”
V 5a, “Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant…”
V 5b-6a, “then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession. …, you will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.”
a) We are God’s treasured possession.
2.“Prepare to Meet Me” vv 8b-19
V 9, “I am going to come to you in a dense cloud, so that the people will hear me speaking with you and will always put their trust in you.”
V 10 “consecrate them today and tomorrow. Have them wash their clothes”
V 12 “Put limits for the people around the mountain…”
b) We need to prepare to meet God.
3. “Stay Your Distance” vv 20-25
V 21 “Go down and warn the people so they do not force their way through to see the LORD and many of them perish. Go down and warn the people so they do not force their way through to see the LORD and many of them perish.”
c) We now come to God boldly but reverently.
—————————————- question for sermon discussion ———————————
1) What does it mean for you to be God’s treasure? What does it mean to be a royal priesthood and a holy nation?
2) Why is obedience to God’s covenant / law / Word necessary for us?
3) How do you explain our God who is both transcendent and imminent?
4) How do you approach God in your personal devotion and in Church? How do you think you should approach Him?
5) Are you more confident or fearful of God? How does Jesus’ death on the cross makes the difference for you?