DIVING SOVEREIGNTY, HUMAN RESPONSIBILITY
GENESIS. 17:1-27; 18:1-15
1. God Reaffirms His Covenant to Abram (vv 1-14)
a. God Appears to Abram to Reaffirm the Covenant (vv 1-2)
b. God Specifies the Details of the Covenant to Abram, and Renames Him Abraham (vv 3-8)
c. God Institutes Circumcision, the Sign of the Covenant (vv 9-14)
2. God Promises a Son through Sarai (vv 15-27)
a. God Promises a Son Through Sarai, and Renames Her Sarah (vv 15-16)
b. Abraham Responds with Bemused Laughter (vv 17-18)
c. God Repeats the Promise and Names the Child Isaac (vv 19-22)
3. Abraham Commits to the Covenant by Carrying Out Circumcision (vv 23-27)
Lessons We Can Learn
1.Trust God to fulfil His covenant.
2. Obey God by keeping His covenant.
3. Perpetuate God’s covenant to our children.
——————————-questions for sermon discussion——————————-
- In God’s covenant with Abraham, list down all the evidences of divine sovereignty and Abraham’s responsibility in chapter 17.
- How do you think God’s sovereignty encourages Abraham’s responsibility? How does God’s sovereignty encourage your responsibility in your journey of faith?
- Explain what you understand by the sign of water baptism. How important is it that a believer in Christ be baptized?
- Since the sign of baptism is extended to children, what does it mean for CGMC to regard our children and youths as the people of?